I would say that 99.9% of the websites I create using WordPress, are done in a development space. Typically that space is a sub domain on my hosting server. Once the WordPress CMS is complete we move the files and the database to the live hosting space. What I’m about to outline below is my process of setting up the development space and building out the website.
Please note that this page is a work in progress. Be sure to subscribe to the RSS Feed to find out when I’ve added new content.
Initial Steps Prior to Installation
1. Setup Sub Domain
2. Download a fresh copy of WordPress
3. Create MySQL Database in hosting control panel
4. Create wp-config.php file
5. Upload all the files contained in the WordPress Download (step 2), including the wp-config.php file into the directory for the sub domain we created in step 1.
The Installation Wizard
6. Call the sub domain url in the address bar of your favorite browser to start the install wizard.
7. Give it a Title / Description
8. Pick a username, password
9. Enter your email address
10. Choose to block search engines
11. Click the buttons to proceed to the next step and follow the rest of the steps to completion.
12. Login and Add 2 New Pages:
- Go to Pages > Add New: Give it a title of homepage for now and click publish.
- Go to Pages > Add New Again: Give it a title of Blog and click publish
13. General Settings
- Adjust tagline, title as needed
- Make sure “Anyone can register” is NOT checked.
- Set Timezone, date, time, week settings as you see fit.
14. Reading Settings: Setting Up the Static Front Page
15. Permalink Settings: Setup Pretty Permalinks / Search Friendly URL’s
16. Install, activate and configure my favorite base plugins.
17. Design your custom theme or apply a premium or free wordpress theme
18. Create and organize the pages that will be include in the website.
19. Add content and media to your pages
20. Go through each page and make sure everything is optimized
21. Invite people to preview and proof the website prior to launch.
22. Move it live
23. Add some sort of analytics
24. Submit XML Sitemap to the various engines
25. Connect it to the your social networks like Facebook & Twitter
26. Start blogging by announcing the launch of the new site